Black obsidian is one of the most powerful rocks in nature. It protects the wearer against all kinds of negative actions and emotions. This stone of truth heals and enhances the gift of prophecy.
Black Obsidian Meaning, Short History, and Legends
Obsidian is a natural form of volcanic glass famous for its conchoidal fracture surface. It’s made of the following: Rhyolite, Andesite, basalt, and Trachyte. The rock has different colors: black obsidian, blue, reddish brown, and smoky gray. Other hues and patterns: green, golden sheen, rainbow, snowflake, and silver. In nature, we find the Obsidian rock as small nodules called Apache Tears.
Black Obsidian Meaning
The word “obsidian” comes from the Latin “obsidianus”. This is an inaccurate version of the words “Obsianus (lapis)”, meaning “(stone) of Obsius”. The latter was a Roman who discovered the rock in Africa, more specifically Ethiopia. The history of this powerful rock is older than the Roman Empire.
History and Legends
The obsidian was first used as a weapon and a mirror in 700,000 BC. Pre-Columbian Mesoamericans used it to make tools. They also carved it in the form of decorative objects. The black obsidian appears in the history of Native Americans as well. The stone statues on Easter Island have obsidian in their composition. You’ll also find the rock mentioned in the Middle East.
According to astrologists, the rock is the stone of Pluto. In ancient times, the obsidian was believed to be a fragment that fell from Satan’s claws. The Apache Tears pattern takes its name from a legend.
50 warriors of the Native American tribe died in an ambush and their bodies turned into black stones. The tears that fell from their wives’ eyes were buried in the stones by the Great Father. If you look at a black obsidian in the light, you will see the shape of a tear. People who wear the Apache Tear as jewelry will never cry and good luck will follow them for the rest of their lives.
Black Obsidian Healing Properties & Recommended Uses
Black obsidian properties are many and powerful. Its healing properties are particularly important. Here’s what the stone can do:
- Enhance physical force.
- Treat male and female genital diseases.
- Improve the functioning of kidneys.
- Help adrenal glands work better.
- Treat rheumatism.
- Improve digestion.
- Calm your mind.
- Protect against depression.
- Improve peripheral circulation.
- Draw tension and stress out of your body.
- Keep you away from any form of negativity.
- Strengthen spiritual beliefs.
As you can tell, the healing properties of obsidian are not limited to physical healing alone. Instead, they extend to the emotional and spiritual level of our being.
To make the most out of these properties, you need to use the rock during your crystal therapy sessions. Alternatively, you can place it beside your bed. Another good idea would be to place the stone under your pillow.
More specifically, for physical and emotional healing, one can choose to wear volcanic glass earrings, necklaces or bracelets. If not, simply carry them around inside your purse, bag or pocket and just take them out whenever you feel the need to do so like getting rid of the negativity in a situation you are currently in.
As for spiritual healing, it is better to have a mala or prayer beads made from obsidian that you can hold on to during your prayers. If you can’t find one, then you can settle with obsidian jewelry or tumble stones.
Since this volcanic glass can also be used in Feng Shui, one can strategically place it at specific areas in the house to experience its power. For example, you can take a black obsidian mirror and position it directly at the opposite side of a lighter mirror to bring out the balance between the strong and calm energies in your home.
Black Obsidian Stone Color Symbolism & Spiritual Meaning
Obsidian doesn’t come in just one color. The gemstone has different hues and patterns. Each of the colors and shapes symbolizes something else and has another spiritual meaning. Let’s see what this means.
- Black Obsidian: it increases self-control and removes selfish intentions. If you’re sensitive to the outside world, your foresight will be enhanced. Use a black obsidian crystal ball during your meditation sessions. You will feel emotional release if you wear the stone on the Manipura.
- Green Obsidian: symbolizes freedom from draining energy. It has to do with the root and the heart chakras. The energies of these important regions are brought together in synergy.
- Mahogany Obsidian: gentle energy. The stone vibrates with the earth and fuels weak auras with strength.
- Bright blue obsidian: represents intuition. The rock that has this color can open Vishuddha, the 5th Its power becomes clear in an induced trance state. Fortune telling is one of the most common practices to use the bright blue stone.
- Golden Obsidian: the symbol of protection. Used in scrying sessions because it harmonizes energy fields.
- Silver obsidian:: a symbol for patience and perseverance.
- Golden sheen: a symbol of the past and the future. Also referred to as gold sheen obsidian. Helps solve a problem by making us look into the root of it all. It solves ego conflicts.
- Rainbow obsidian: another symbol of protection. This is the stone to use if you want to learn about your spiritual nature.
- Snowflake obsidian: the symbol of purity. It brings a balance of spirit, mind, and body. Don’t be fooled by its name as this type of obsidian not actually white–at least not entirely. A snowflake obsidian is predominantly black in color with patches of white all over it that mimics a snowflake pattern.
Black Obsidian Key-Facts
This rock forms only near volcanoes that are active. Surgeons use it for different procedures thanks to its sharpness. The obsidian works great as a jewelry piece, too. because it’s easy to work with this gemstone. You can buy a black obsidian bracelet and pair it with a ring.
The rock has a hardness of 5.5. This means that it’s not difficult to carve. Thanks to this property, artists can turn it into figurines, sculptures, and masks. Aside from those, obsidians have also been used in the ancient times as a weapon that’s known to have a sharp cutting edge. Obsidian blades along with a wooden body make up the sword-like weapon called macuahuitl.
Other words for this rock: glassy lava, royal agate, Xaga, or glass agate. Although, note that Obsidian is technically not an agate or even a stone because it lacks the crystalline structure that is common to both.
Obsidians, in general, are widely regarded as modern zodiac gemstones of people born on certain months and dates. The mahogany type, for example, is said to be the birthstone of people born between September 23 and October 22 or those that fall under the zodiac sign of Libra. The blue ones, on the other hand, are for people born between January 20 and February 18 or those under Aquarius.
The black obsidian, along with the snowflake obsidian, are both considered as birthstones of people born between November 22 and December 21 or those that fall under the zodiac sign of Sagittarius.
All types of obsidians are said to resonate with different chakras. These include the Muladhara or root chakra, the earthstar chakra, the Manipura or the solar plexus chakra, the Svadhishthana or the sacral chakra, and the Ajna or the third-eye chakra.
Each corresponding chakra represents a power or key point in our body where energy flows through. Thus, placing or wearing an obsidian near these key points help balance our these chakras.
For example, placed at the base of your spine, the black obsidian protects your back, teeth, bones, and blood. Negative energy stays away from these regions which are all associated with the root chakra. The gold sheen, on the other hand, is known to dissolve negativity and cleanse the aura. It is particularly able to clear any blockage in the solar plexus chakra.
Black Obsidian Jewelry: A Short Guide
Wearing a necklace, a pendant, or beads made of black obsidian will bring you health benefits. The gemstone doesn’t only bring physical healing. It also helps if you aim for a high-fashion look. Mix a pearl ring with a black obsidian and get ready for a great night out.
You can combine this rock with other stones fashioned into refined jewelry. Here are some examples: Dravite, Golden Rutilated Qtz, and Shungite. An Amethyst pendant is a perfect companion for a black obsidian bracelet.
The stone is so popular, that motherboard manufacturers have come up with black obsidian cases. You have the 800D full-tower one, as well as these Obsidian Series options: 450D, 550D, and 650D. If you find one on sale at a good price, buy it. You won’t find a better one anywhere.
Black obsidian is one of nature’s most powerful rocks. It’s filled with meaning and there are many interesting facts about it. Find out all about its properties, history, and legends from today’s post. If you want to find out info on another gemstone, feel free to check out this A to Z comprehensive guide.