Healing stones have been used since ancient times to alleviate pain, cleanse the soul and find balance. This practice is often used along with yoga and meditation to initiate peace and a feeling of calmness. It is a great way to reduce stress and improve your focus on the things that matter most in your life.
If you are new to the idea of using gemstones and crystals to heal your body, you have a lot to learn about the process. But with plenty of practice and understanding, you will gain the knowledge that you need to balance your chakra and improve your overall well-being.
Chakra and the Use of Healing Stones
Chakra is a Sanskrit term that translates to wheel or disk in the English language. In reference to yoga, meditation or Ayurveda, Chakra refers to the wheels of energy that are present throughout our bodies.
We have seven main chakras that align our spine. They begin at the base of the spine and go through the crown of our heads.
To get a better idea of where each chakra is located, think of a swirling wheel of pure energy where both matter and consciousness come together. This invisible force is known as Prana, which is an essential life force that keeps us vibrant and healthy.
Each chakra corresponds to a major nerve center of our body. Our seven main chakras include major organs and a mass of nerves that work along with our spiritual, emotional, and psychological health.
It is important that our chakras stay open, aligned and fluid with our body. If there is any type of blockage, positive energy is unable to flow.
The Seven Chakras
The seven chakras are grouped into three different categories. The first group is The Chakras of Matter. When we work through these first three chakras, we are able to open the spiritual chakras, or lower three, fully.
- The First Chakra known as the Muladhara is the chakra of stability and security. It is located within the first three vertebrae, the bladder, and the colon. When this chakra is open it provides us with feelings of safety and courage.
- The Second Chakra known as Svadhisthana is our center for creativity and sexuality. It is located right above the pubic bone and is the key to creative expression.
- The Third Chakra known as Manipura is located between the navel and breastbone. It is our source of personal power.
- The Fourth Chakra is one of the most important. It is known as the Anahata and it is center of the seven chakras of the spine. The Anahata also unites the lower chakras of matter with the upper chakras of spirit. While it is spiritual, the fourth chakra also serves as a bridge between our mind, body, emotions, and spirit. Also known as the heart chakra, the Anahata is our primary source of love and connection.
- The Fifth Chakra is the Vishuddha and it is located in the throat area. It serves as our source of verbal communication and allows us to speak our minds. The organs of the fifth chakra include the neck, thyroid, and parathyroid glands as well as the jaw, mouth, and tongue.
- The Sixth Chakra or Ajna is located between our eyebrows and also known as ‘the third eye’. Ajna is the center point of our intuition. Everyone has a sense of intuition; however, we may not always listen to it. As you focus on opening the sixth chakra, you will gain more knowledge about its abilities.
- The Seventh Chakra or the Sahaswara is commonly referred to as the ‘thousand petal lotus’. It is located at the crown of the head. This chakra is the key to enlightenment and serves as a spiritual connection to our higher selves, others and the divine.
Chakra Healing with Crystals and Stones
There are certain crystals and gemstones that can help you open the seven chakras. These stones can assist with mediation and healing as you work on balancing your energy. Here are some useful stones and crystals that may be used with each of the seven chakras.
- Healing stones and Crystals to Use with the First Chakra or Root Chakra
- Smoky Quartz, Garnet, Hematite, Red Jasper, Black Onyx
- Second or Sacral Chakra
- Amber, Carnelian, Orange Calcite, Tiger Eye
- Third or Solar Plexus Chakra
- Citrine, Yellow Jade, Yellow Jasper, Pyrite, Rutilated Quartz
- Fourth or Heart Chakra
- Amazonite, Emerald, Aventurine, Green Calcite
- Fifth or Throat Chakra
- Aquamarine, Lapis Lazuli, Azurite, Sodalite, Anhydrite, Celestine
- Sixth or Third Eye Chakra
- Amethyst, Fluorite, Quartz, Lapis Lazuli
- Seventh or Crown Chakra
- Charoite, Quartz, Lepidolite, Selenite, Howlite
- The Result of Using Healing Stones to Open Your Chakras
Keeping a chakra open can be challenging but it is achievable with practice and awareness. Our minds, bodies, souls, and spirits are all connected. When we are aware that there is an imbalance in one of these areas, that awareness will help us bring balance back into our lives.
Basically, you must deal with the primary issue that is bothering you first, before you can take care of the minor issues that followed it.